I’ve had grilled cheese on the brain since the fall because every time I walk past my bookshelf, I catch a glimpse of the grilled cheese sandwich on the cover of Melissa Clark’s In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite. And with all of the soup recipes I’ve been writing lately, walking past the bookshelf was starting to become painful.
So I decided to make my perfect grilled cheese sandwich. With visions of apples and melty brie and sharp Cheddar, bacon and mushrooms, my head was spinning with all of the delicious possibilities. And despite all of those possibilities, this is what I decided to go with.
‘s nothing fancy. It’s just bread, butter, basil, and cheese. But it is delicious. And it is perfect. For me.
- 2 slices bread (I prefer Marble Rye or Sourdough)
- 2 slices White Cheddar cheese
- 3-4 slices basil
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Put the cheese and basil on one slice of bread. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and top with second slice of bread.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet or grill. Add the sandwich and gently press down with a spatula.
- When one side is golden, add the remaining tablespoon of butter, turn the sandwich over, and brown.
Notes: You can obviously swap any cheese or bread that you want as this is just a simple starting point for the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
What you’ll need: A skillet or grill pan and a spatula.
What you want to know: It’s a grilled cheese. You don’t want to know.